We've created this guide with the basic info you'll need for your stay.
Tap each link to be brought to that Google Maps location easily!
If going out remember to bring your mask with you, most places won't let you in without a mask. Hand sanitization will be required in most places and your temperature might also be measured.
Networks available: La Capital FD, La Capital LR, La Capital PR
Where to eat nearby
If you don't want to go out, a great option is using Uber Eats, PedidosYa or Rappi - the main food delivery apps. They have lots of options.
Places within walking distance:
- Rinconcito Cusqueño (Peruvian. 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM).
- Sabana's Place & House Pizza (Local food,"soda", also pizzas. 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM)
- Chasky Food (Local food, "soda". 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM)
- La Parrillita de Pepe (Colombian. 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM).
- Tito's Corner (Local Caribbean food. 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM)
- Sheriff's House Sabana (Grill, steak & Bbq. 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM)
- Pupusas de la Abuela (Local and centralamerican food. 6:00 AM to 7:30 PM)
- Rostizzados (Roasted chicken, chicken-related local dishes. 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM).
- Tamura (Japanese, sushi. 12:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
- O'Libano (Lebanese. 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM)
- Chubbs (Sports Bar, appetizers. 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM)
- La Fabbrica (Wood-oven pizzas and italian food. 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- Republica Casa Cervecera (Gastropub. 12:00 PM to 11:00 PM)
- Spoon (Local food, pastries and desserts. 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM).
- Soda Tapia (Local food. 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM)
- Huaraches (Mexican. 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- La Gauchada (Argentinian. 12:00 PM to 9:00 PM)
- La Princesa Marina (Seafood and local. 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- Pops (Ice cream and desserts. 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM).
- La Tacopedia (Mexican. 12:00 PM to 9:00 PM)
Due to Covid restrictions restaurants might alter their schedules. After regular closing hours you might still be able to find food options only for delivery through apps like Uber Eats, PedidosYa or Rappi.
Where to buy stuff
There's a grocery store/convenience store called AMPM. They also sell prepared meals, fruits and vegetables.
Currently with Covid restrictions they are closing at 11:00 PM.
We currently sell Movistar SIM cards for $15 USD, they are already activated with a phone number and a plan that includes unlimited social media, 2GB and 45 min of local phone calls, plan is valid for up to 2 weeks but you can renew it for only 4500 colones.
Where to get a COVID test
ou can book online on their websiteLocated just a couple blocks from the hostel, 5 minutes walking distance. No appointment is required. Open from 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM on weekdays, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Saturdays, and Sundays they are closed.
You can book online on their website clicking here. However they take walk ins, appointment is not required and they are open 24/7.
San José - Sede Central
Rohrmoser, Mediplaza or Escazu
Laboratorio San Jose
WhatsApp number for booking your test appointment: +(506) 6063-6363
Rohrmoser, Sabana or Trejos Montealegre
WhatsApp number for booking test: +(506) 8933-0707
Rohrmoser or Escazu
What to visit in San José downtown
There's also a San José Free Walking Tour which we highly recommend doing.
It takes about 3 hours, it's free (tip based), and you get tons of awesome recommendations walking with locals. Booking is required, you can find all the details here:
Jacó - 7:00, 9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 18:00 - Terminal 7-10
La Fortuna - 8:40 AM - Terminal 7-10.
Puerto Viejo/Cahuita/Manzanillo/Sixaola border - 6:00, 10:00, 14:00, 16:00 - Terminal MEPE
Manuel Antonio - 6:00, 9:00, 10:30, 12:00, 13:15, 14:30, 18:00 - Terminal Tracopa
Santa Teresa/Montezuma/Malpais - 6:00 AM & 14:30 (Mon-Sat), 15:00 Sundays - Terminal 7-10.
Monteverde - 6:30, 14:30 - Terminal 7-10.
Tortuguero - Take 9:00 AM bus from Gran Terminal del Caribe to Cariari. In Cariari, take the 11:00 AM bus to La Pavona. At La Pavona, take the next boat available.
Penas Blancas (Nicaragua border) - 4:00 AM, 6:00 AM & 10:00 AM - Terminal del Caribe
Samara only - 12:00 PM (noon) - Terminal 7-10
Samara/Nosara- 10:00, 13:30 - Terminal 7-10
Drake Bay/Corcovado - Take 8:00 AM bus to Sierpe. In Sierpe take the next boat available to Drake Bay. Terminal Tracopa
Dominical/Uvita/Bahia Ballena - 6:30, 8:30, 10:15, 11:00, 12:15,13:00. Terminal Tracopa
Playas del Coco/Playa Hermosa Guanacaste - 8:00 AM & 16:00. Terminal Pulmitan
San Isidro del General, Perez Zeledon - 5:30, 7:30, 9:30, 11:30, 13:30. Terminal MUSOC
Irazu Volcano - 8:00 AM In front of National Theatre.
Nicaragua with Ticabus - Check availability and buy your ticket online here
The following website has very useful information regarding other bus routes and connections:
Need any other route? Let us know and we'll give you the info!
*Frequencies on some routes may be subject to changes due to the reduced volume of travellers during the pandemic.
Dinner & Nightlife
- Neon Ice
These are some suggestions, but it's best to walk around these areas and decide based on the atmosphere, especially now with Covid restrictions.
Where to eat in San José downtown
Looking for a good coffee? Check these places out:
- Café La Mancha. Located inside a landmark building (edificio Steinvorth), they share this beatiful space with Calle Cimarrona local brewery too.
- Alma de Café. Located inside the National Theater. You can also check out the theater's guided tours.
- Cafeoteca. Located inside Kalú restaurant in Barrio Escalante.
- Underground Brew Cafe. Located in Barrio Escalante.
- Franco Restaurante. Located in Barrio Escalante.
Don't miss out eating at the central market. Also, anything that has "Soda"on their name is usually an indicator of great and cheap local food :)
*Saturdays only: Visit Feria Verde, an organic farmer's market with laid back atmosphere and great options for breakfast. They are only open from 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Airport - Hostel: $30 USD (1-4 people)
Hostel - Airport: $25 USD (1-4 people)
We have same day laundry service for $10 USD, includes wash & dry.