We've created this guide with the basic info you'll need for your stay.
Tap each link to be brought to that Google Maps location easily!
Networks available: La Capital FD, La Capital LR, La Capital PR
Where to eat nearby
If you don't want to go out, a great option is using Uber Eats, PedidosYa or Rappi - the main food delivery apps. They have lots of options.
Places within walking distance:
- Rinconcito Cusqueño (Peruvian. 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM).
- Sabana's Place & House Pizza (Local food,"soda", also pizzas. 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM)
- Chasky Food (Local food, "soda". 6:30 AM to 4:30 PM)
- La Parrillita de Pepe (Colombian, latin. 11:30 AM to 10:00 PM).
- Tito's Corner (Local Caribbean food. 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM)
- Sheriff's House Sabana (Grill, steak & Bbq. 12:00 PM - 8:00 PM)
- Pupusas de la Abuela (Local and centralamerican food. 6:00 AM to 7:30 PM)
- Rostizzados (Roasted chicken, chicken-related local dishes. 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM).
- Pho Yummy - (Vietnamese. 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM)
- Moro Street Food (Tacos, bowls, burgers. 12:00 PM to 10:00 PM).
- Dulce Pecado - (Local food, "soda", coffee. 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM)
- O'Libano (Lebanese. 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM)
- Chubbs (Sports Bar, appetizers. 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM)
- Soda Gloriana - (Local food, "soda". 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM)
- La Fabbrica (Wood-oven pizzas and italian food. 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- Republica Casa Cervecera (Gastropub. 12:00 PM to 11:00 PM)
- Spoon (Local food, pastries and desserts. 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM).
- Soda Tapia (Local food. 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM)
- Huaraches (Mexican. 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- La Princesa Marina (Seafood and local. 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM)
- Pops (Ice cream and desserts. 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM).
- La Tacopedia (Mexican. 12:00 PM to 9:00 PM)
Where to buy stuff
There's a grocery store/convenience store called AMPM. They also sell prepared meals, fruits and vegetables. You can also find an ATM here.
They're open from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM.
We currently sell Movistar SIM cards for $15 USD, they are already activated with a phone number and a plan that includes unlimited social media, 2GB and 45 min of local phone calls, plan is valid for up to 2 weeks but you can renew it for only 4500 colones.
If you need to print documents or take out photocopies, you can go to Sabana Copias.
They're open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and closed on Sundays.
Where to print documents
Where to get a COVID test
ou can book online on their websiteLocated just a couple blocks from the hostel, 5 minutes walking distance. No appointment is required. Open from 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM on weekdays, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM on Saturdays, and Sundays they are closed.
You can book online on their website clicking here. However they take walk ins, appointment is not required and they are open 24/7.
San José - Sede Central
Rohrmoser, Mediplaza or Escazu
Laboratorio San Jose
WhatsApp number for booking your test appointment: +(506) 6063-6363
Rohrmoser, Sabana or Trejos Montealegre
WhatsApp number for booking test: +(506) 8933-0707
Rohrmoser or Escazu
What to visit in San José downtown
There's also a San José Free Walking Tour which we highly recommend doing.
It takes about 3 hours, it's free (tip based), and you get tons of awesome recommendations walking with locals. Booking is required, you can find all the details here:
or this other company:
It's recommended to be at the bus station at least 45 minutes before depature. Bus schedules constantly change due to passenger demand and seasons. We try to keep this information up to date but there could be last minute changes.
Jacó - 7:00, 9:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 18:00 - Terminal 7-10
La Fortuna - 8:40 AM - Terminal 7-10.
This is the only direct bus, but you can also get to La Fortuna through Ciudad Quesada. Buses to Quesada leave every hour from same Terminal 7-10, and in Quesada you can take a connection to La Fortuna from the same terminal you arrive at.
Puerto Viejo/Cahuita/Manzanillo/Sixaola border - 6:00, 10:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00 - Terminal MEPE
Manuel Antonio - 6:00, 9:00, 10:30, 12:00, 13:15, 14:30, 18:00 - Terminal Tracopa
Santa Teresa/Montezuma/Malpais - 6:00 AM & 14:30 (Mon-Sat), 15:00 Sundays - Terminal 7-10.
You can purchase your ticket here. (destination will say Cobano, this is correct, it's the nearest town)
Tamarindo - 8:30, 11:30, 15:30 - Transporte Inteligente Guanacaste.
Monteverde - 6:30 (only on Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) and 14:30 (everyday) - Terminal 7-10.
Tortuguero - Take 9:00 AM bus from Gran Terminal del Caribe to Cariari. In Cariari, take the 11:00 AM bus to La Pavona. At La Pavona, take the next boat available.
You can also book a semi-private shuttle to Tortuguero with Exploradores Outdoors by clicking here
Penas Blancas (Nicaragua border) - 4:00 AM, 6:00 AM & 10:00 AM - Terminal del Caribe
Samara only - 12:00 PM (noon) - Terminal 7-10
Samara/Nosara- 10:00, 13:30 - Terminal 7-10
Drake Bay/Corcovado - Take 8:00 AM bus to Sierpe. In Sierpe take the next boat available to Drake Bay. Terminal Tracopa
Dominical/Uvita/Bahía Ballena - 6:30, 8:30, 10:15, 11:00, 12:15,13:00. Terminal Tracopa
Puerto Jimenez - 12:00 pm - Terminal MEPE
Liberia - 6:00, 7:15, 9:00, 10:30, 12:00, 13:00. Terminal Pulmitan
Playas del Coco/Playa Hermosa Guanacaste - 8:00 AM & 16:00. Terminal Pulmitan
Nicoya - 6:00 AM, 7:30 AM, 9:30 AM, 5:00 PM - Terminal 7-10.
San Isidro del General, Perez Zeledon - 5:30, 7:30, 9:30, 11:30, 13:30. Terminal MUSOC
Irazu Volcano - 8:00 AM In front of National Theatre.
Nicaragua with Ticabus - Check availability and buy your ticket online here
Nicaragua with NicaBus - Check availability and buy your ticket online here
Nicaragua with NicaExpreso - Check availability and buy your ticket online here
The following website has very useful information regarding other bus routes and connections:
Need any other route? Let us know!
*Frequencies on some routes may be subject to changes due to the reduced volume of travellers during the pandemic.
Dinner & Nightlife
- Calle 33
- Neon Ice
These are some suggestions, but it's best to walk around these areas and decide based on the atmosphere, especially now with Covid restrictions.
Where to eat in San José downtown
Looking for a good coffee? Check these places out:
- Café La Mancha. Located inside a landmark building (edificio Steinvorth), they share this beatiful space with Calle Cimarrona local brewery too.
- Alma de Café. Located inside the National Theater. You can also check out the theater's guided tours.
- Cafeoteca. Located inside Kalú restaurant in Barrio Escalante.
- Franco Restaurante. Located in Barrio Escalante.
- Momo Café. Located closer from us, on your way to San José downtown.
Don't miss out eating at the central market. Also, anything that has "Soda"on their name is usually an indicator of great and cheap local food :)
*Saturdays only: Visit Feria Verde, an organic farmer's market with laid back atmosphere and great options for breakfast. They are only open from 7:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Airport - Hostel: $30 USD (1-4 people)
Hostel - Airport: $25 USD (1-4 people)
We have same day laundry service for $10 USD, includes wash & dry.
One Day Tours
We'll be happy to help you booking tours or with any further doubt. You can also check directly the main tour operators we usually work with:
Rafting: Exploradores Outdoors
Tortuguero: Jungle Tom Safaris
Let us know which tour you're interested in and we'll arrange it for you.